Let me start by saying “Happy New Years”! From me and mine to you and yours, we hope you have a wonderful and prosperous 2010.
This time of the year has never really meant that much to me. The only real change it ever makes in my life is that I must get use to writing a different year on my checks. This year is different. It is a year that will be filled with focus and determination. A year that will be very important to the success of Cody’s Crew. I don’t have to say it but last year was by far the worst of my life. My family and I lost something so precious to us that we questioned our ability to continue to function. But, through the loss of our wonderful child something good was born. The start of Cody’s Crew is our way to show that Cody lives on. This will be his legacy. It is our goal that someday no mother, father, brother or sister will ever lose their special loved one to the beast.
2010 holds endless hope and anticipation that the message “One child lost to neuroblastoma, is one child too many!” grows into a household phrase. With your help in spreading the word people will come to know about “The Beast”. They will come to know what terrible treatments and pain these little children must endure before having their lives blown out like a newly lit candle. With your help in spreading the word of Cody’s Crew, children like Cody will grow up to become doctors, teachers, presidents, scientists, engineers or mommies and daddies. These children deserve that chance. This world is a lesser place without them having that chance. My wife and I will continue this fight in hopes that someday it will not be needed.
How can you help? Well, there are many ways.
· First of which, you can spread the word. Tell people about Cody and the thousands of children like him.
· Tell people about neuroblastoma and the fact that there is NO CURE.
· Post links to our blog and the Cody’s Crew website on your blog, Facebook or website.
· Encourage friends, family, co-workers, employers and local businesses to donate to Cody’s Crew.
· If you know a celebrity or public personality, ask them if they would help us spread the word. We are still searching that “front person” that people know and recognize that will get the public’s attention.
· If you don’t live near Northern Virginia and can’t attend any of our events you can plan one of your own. A yard sale, a golf tournament, a bake sale or a lemonade and cookie stand. There are many ideas and we would be happy to hear from you if you have something different.
Cody’s Crew is as “grass roots” as it gets. We have no major corporate backing “yet”. We are less than one year old. We are very much like the children we are trying to help. We are young and weak and need love and nurturing to help us grow. Please don’t read this post and think that all is well and we are fine. Please use this New Year as a reason to help. You can do something! I know that you care because you took the time to come read this post. Some of you check my blog religiously. Some of you have followed Cody’s journey for years. Please, don’t just stand by. We need your help for Cody’s Crew to grow into all it can be.
This picture was taken in September of 2008. The 3 beautiful children in the picture are from left to right are Jenna Mussolini, Owen Lea and our man Cody Johnson. It was Owen's 7th birthday that was being celebrated at Memorial Sloan Kettering in New York. Like most of these children Owen had to celebrate his big day in between treatments. They loved every chance they could get to just be kids. Look at their happy faces..
Now for the reality behind this picture. All 3 of these children are now angels. Jenna passed away just 4 months after this picture was taken. Owen passed away this past summer. Our Cody passed away in March. This is not just a coincidence, it is reality for the kids with neuroblastoma.
This reality for parents like us!