Monday, October 29, 2007

My last 20 miler is finished.....

Well, yesterday was my last 20 miler and it couldn't come soon enough for me. I'm kinda going through that over training stage right now. You know the one where you say I feel like I need to take a break from running for while? Well, this is just not the time for that. My taper couldn't start at a better time. I will do a 16 on Thursday morning and head into work a little later than usual. I'll be heading out of town for business which is the reason I want to do my last long run while I'm home. That takes all the guess work out of it. Where to run, how to get the time to run and having the energy after a hard day of work.
I'm down to 19 days and a wakeup. The battle for me now is to control my eating so I don't gain any weight before my race. Actually I'd like to lose a few pounds before I race. According to RW writer Amby Burfoot, you trim 2 seconds per mile off your time for every pound you lose. Now that may not seem like much but over 26.2 miles it adds up to almost one minute. I know, I know, you are saying "Deck, that isn't that much either" but for me that 1 minute may very well be the difference of me making Boston or not. Right now I think I'm very close to being ready. I will be running at just under 8 minute miles to qualify. I need 3:30:59 or less. Many of my races this year have been well under that but none of them have been for 26.2 miles. My legs are pretty strong right now but they definitely need the taper.

No comments: