Monday, February 25, 2008

Getting ready to go...

Diane spent yesterday packing. We're trying to also get all the support structure for Justin and Daniela in order. I'd be lying if I told you that this all isn't a little unsettling. Although I know the procedures that Cody is going to have are all the same ones that he has had before, this trip stands for much more. It stands for a new chapter or a turn of the page. Until this trip all of Cody's treatments have occurred at Georgetown. Sloan Kettering is known for handling the hard cases, the 2nd, 3rd and more relapse cases. They take on the ones no other facility can handle. I'm glad we are going there don't get me wrong. But I'm sad that Cody has got to this point. So, tonight we get things ready. We get our minds right for an early morning departure.

When we get back from NY next week we know that Cody's surgery is the following week. He will have a much larger scare than his first surgery. The doctor described it as the Mercedes Benz logo. Our poor little boy. He just doesn't know what is going on. He really doesn't ask many questions either. He just lives for today. It is so hard to stay focused on the positive, especially as I learn more and more about this evil disease. I have to just keep saying "one foot in front of the other."

We are looking forward to seeing NY. I will post when I get chances to do so.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mickey & Diane,
I'll be checking many,many times a
day waiting to hear from you.You
two know more about what is going
to be happening then our BIG GUY
does and maybe that is best. I was
under the impression that the surgery would be done in NY. Our BIG GUY is POSITIVELY going to do
fine and come out with flying colors.Besides the family, there
are a lot of my friends praying for
him and have him on their church
prayer lists. Stay safe all of you.
GOD BLESS,
LOVE MOM

Anonymous said...

Godspeed and Good Luck. We will be praying.

Kirk

Kentucky USATF said...

Safe travels to all of you.


Dottie

Anonymous said...

Cody will come out of this stronger and better than ever. You all are in my thoughts.

Corie and Family

Anonymous said...

Praying for quick and uneventful flight to give you some quiet time before you get to the hospital. Praying for everything to go well. And for peace of mind for you all.

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Hugs to Cody!!!!

Pat (ACCA-NCC)

Anonymous said...

Deck,

It sounds like Cody's going to the right place. I will be thinking of Cody and looking forward to some more good news. You have been phenomenal Deck, Hang in there.

Trainingforsub3

Anonymous said...

Just be encouraged to know that we're all praying that things go well. God doesn't make mistakes!
Travel safely.

Shirley

Anonymous said...

Mickey,

Hang tough my friend! Many prayers have gone up for Cody as well as for you and Diane! Kids are so resilient, aren't they? Wish we could be that way too :-) Here's a big hug to you both and know that we are all praying for a safe trip, an unevent operation and especially good news to follow!! God bless!!

Kate

elizabethnyc said...

Mickey and Diane,
You've been on my mind all day. Praying for strength for the both of you, for healing for Cody, for wisdom for Cody's docs at MSKCC (I know they've got it already, just hoping to heap on a little more LOL), and comfort for Justin and Daniela.

Now, while you're in NYC:
* Delizia Pizza (1st ave just north of 74th street) for great sicilian pizza and great salads and they make a good cannoli too.
* H&H Bagels (2nd ave, near 80th or 81st street)
* for a really good coffee near MSKCC, go to Java Girl, e.66th between 1st and 2nd avenues

Let me know if you need recommendations for anything else!

Hugs to you all,
Elizabeth

reinn4 said...

you don't know me and i'm really just a lurker on runners world forums, have never even posted on there but saw the thread re: cody and followed it here. i have 4 children myself and of course it's so easy to take their health for granted but i try not to. you and cody will be on my heart today and probably many days to come, blessings to you.
A favorite quote: "I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -Christpher Reeve-