Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Busy week....

What a week! It all started with the Cody's Crew Golf Outing that was held at Virginia Oaks Golf Club on Thursday. A wonderful time was had by all. We had some great gifts that were donated and the weather couldn't have been better. For those of you who follow the Washington Redskins you may know of the Hoggets. Well we had those crazy fellows attend also. Many of those who participated have asked if we were doing this again next year. My answer to that is "how could we not?" We are happy to say that we raised almost $9500.00. Not bad for our first event huh? Thanks to all of you who donated and also to those of you who attended.

So, after our great day on Thursday we had to try and get a little rest. Friday, Diane and I went to work and put in a full day before heading up to Butler PA. What's in Butler PA you ask. Well, my mother was suppose to get knee replacement surgery a week ago but her EKG tests came back with some questionable results. It turns out that she had some major blockage leading to her heart. After all little convincing she decided that she would have heart surgery. She ended up have double heart bypass on Monday. My sister says that she is stable but still in ICU as of today. I will be heading back up there on Friday to spend the weekend with her.

The Pittsburgh Marathon. It seems as though most of my past race performances have been less than ideal. The Pittsburgh Marathon would be no exception. After doing 40 miles at the Hampton VA 24 Hour Relay just 2 weeks ago my back went out one day later. When I say "it went out", I mean, it went out worse than it ever has. I did not run one step for the 2 weeks leading up to the race. I just really wanted to do this race. I was seeing a chiropractor every other day in those 2 weeks trying to get my back together. By Wednesday I had decided that I was feeling good enough to do the race. Sunday morning the race kicked off and it started to rain almost immediately. I didn't go more than a mile before I had a lady run up to me and ask if I was Mickey. She knows both of my brothers and knows of Cody and my running with the flag. I had a nice little chat with her and we are now friends on Facebook. It wasn't 500 feet later that a guy came up to me and said that he knew me from Runners World. Later in the race I had a guy come up to me and tell me that he ran in Hampton 2 weeks ago and remembered me and the other Cody's Crew runners carrying the flag. This is what makes it all worth it. I want people to look for "the flag guy". I want them to know what Cody's Crew is and stands for. That is why I do all of this. I had others ask me what the flag was for and why I would carry a flag for a whole marathon. Did I mention the rain? The flag was soaked but I never considered stopping. For me, if I'm not carrying that flag, then I might as well stop running. This was one of the hardest marathons that I have ever done. It was an accumulation of many things. Less than desirable training, a hilly course, touchy back and rain. It is now Tuesday and my legs hurt more than ever before. So much so that I'm going to get a massage tomorrow after work. Many of my runner friends swear by them so I think I will give it a try. My final time was 4:43:55. Not my best time that's for sure but my reason for running has changed. Now I don't run for time but to deliver the message of Cody's Crew. I want people to take notice. Take notice that neuroblastoma is killing our children and not enough is being done to stop it.

Thanks for reading..

3 comments:

Lori said...

Mickey,
You are amazing! Continue to carry that flag with pride and hope. Maybe someday I will join you in a marathon, for now my focus is the half!

You may also want to consider a naprapath in addition to a chiropractor for your back and legs. I had one work on my IT band after Saturday's run and I feel so much better.

Thinking of you and sending hugs and love your way,
Lori

elizabethnyc said...

Diane, I was thinking of you yesterday, sending up a prayer for some peace and comfort. Take care, Elizabeth

Prayer Pals 4 Orphans said...

You haven't posted in a while and I wanted to know if you and your family are okay.
You all continue to be in my prayers.