Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oh we want to go home......

As much as we like Georgetown Hospital we still can't wait to get the heck out of there. Things are really starting to get under our skin. Things like the food service. On the weekends it seems like getting food to patients is not a priority to the hospital. On Diane's day they didn't ask what Cody wanted to eat. They delivered the wrong food. Or they didn't show up at all. It seems that they really have a hard time with staffing. The sad thing is, the patient is the one who suffers.

Saturday they knew that Cody was going to need platelets. It was decided by the "doctor on call" that they were going to wait until his platelet numbers went down even more before giving him platelets. They were plenty low on Saturday and there was no need to wait but "oh well." So at 3:30 Sunday morning they decide that the platelets are low enough. Well, the nurse and the resident pock their heads in the room at 3:30 and want Cody to take pre-medicine for the transfusion. I had to physically hold Cody down and force him to take the meds. This is the kinda bone headed stuff that drives us crazy. There has to be some level of thought put into this stuff. Anyway, it's all starting to wear on us.

As for Cody's numbers today. His ANC is at 1200 which is pretty good. I think the doctor told Diane that she wants him at 4 or 5 thousand before she will let him go home. At this point his number should double and triple everyday.

Keep praying please...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mickie, I check your blog every chance I get to see how Cody is doing and to continue to send my prayers, but the thing I always find is how much I can relate to what you are going through. I think dietary is a nation wide nightmare.

I hope since the counts are going up that it is helping with the side effects.

Know that you are not alone and even though I am not near by if there is anything that I can do to help please let me know.

God Bless
Bruce

Anonymous said...

Mickey, I can't imagine having to deal with those issues along with everything else you have to deal with. It's at times like these that my heart truly pains for you.

Prayers coming your way.

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Things that you talked about today, I never heard you mention
before and never thought anything
like that would be happening at a
hospital like that one. As if those patients and parents don't have enough to deal. We will all be praying that Cody can soon go home again.Praying that the numbers
are much higher tomorrow.
LOVE & KISSES,
MOM

Kentucky USATF said...

I love the way the numbers are coming up- that's my kind of math!

Soon you'll all be home enjoying home cooking and uninterrupted rest.


Dottie

Gettin Older said...

I love that he is feeling well enough that you can look forward to going home. I noticed with Dad that the weekend care was not as great as during the week. It bothered me as well. Continued prayers. Check out Tobes' "Fast Wednesday" Thread.

Anonymous said...

I love you cody. cause I really miss you and I really hope you feel better.
I am Morgan. and you are cody. and I know you. and I really really really miss you.

Love Morgan

runnergeel daughter. (insert smile here)!

Deck Ape said...

Karen,
that is so sweet... It would be nice if they could meet someday..