Sunday, September 14, 2008

Sunday morning in New York...

Hey folks, I relieved Diane yesterday. I arrived Friday night on the train, and no I didn't get off in New Jersey this time... :) When I got here I knocked on the room door and Cody greeted me with one of his patented wrestling hugs. It was so awesome. He has not wanted to talk to me or anyone else for that matter since starting his new treatment. He looked like he had quite a week. His eyes and face were all swollen from the meds I guess. His head looks like it's made of old brown shoe leather. It is brown and cracked from our week at the beach despite the application of sun screen. It's scuffed from the almost countless bruises and scabs from dives and falls from the couch, the wall at the board walk in Ocean City and the tunnels at Chuckie Cheese. There is now a very tiny bit of peach fuzz growing on his head. That showing signs of the beginning of his much needed head protection, "hair". He has had a very tough week and has one more before he gets a three week break at home. Then, it will start all over again.

Diane could have left Friday night but chose to stay and enjoy one good day with Cody before heading home. We got up yesterday morning and Cody took his meds. Then we headed over to Central Park. We had a great day... We walked the park for a while with Cody sampling many of the $2, $3 and $4 ice cream vendors treats. We then talked him into a carriage ride on a horse drawn carriage. He really didn't want to do it at first but after seeing one of the beautiful animals up close he gave in. We rode with a wonderful fellow from Ireland named Robert. His horse's name was Betty. We rode around the park learning a few things about Manhattan and the rich folks when Cody spotted a small carnival down where the ice skating rink is during the winter months. Cody had a good time riding the rides and playing games. Diane and I agreed that he would've had a better time if Justin or Daniela was there with him but he didn't complain. About 3pm we headed back so Diane could catch a train. Cody fell asleep in the stroller on the way back. Diane said this was the best mood he has been in all week. I can understand why.

Cody received many birthday gifts from the hospital, Ronald McDonald House and from his good friends at Georgetown. One that he talked me into playing with is a poker set. That's right, poker. You all know how good Cody is at playing Monopoly and now we can add poker to his repertoire. Now, Diane as my witness I have to tell you what one of Cody's very first hands turned out to be. A "Royal Flush"! That's right, some people go a lifetime without getting one and he achieved it in less that 10 minutes. Now I have to tell you, I'm not much of a card player. I enjoy talking and socializing too much. I might just as well give my $20 to the other players and sit down to drink. LOL! I have a feeling that Cody is going to make me practice much more than I ever thought. We have played 4 times already since Friday night. When we have down time in the room that is what he wants to do.

We are on a waiting list for a WNBA game today. It is the woman's pro basketball team here in New York. If we don't get to go to that I will ask Cody what he wants to do. Who knows, we may end up over at Central Park again today. We are going to try and enjoy this day as much as possible. I am not looking forward to tomorrow. Diane tried to described the hell that Cody goes through to me but I want to experience it for myself before I try to write about it. She says that Monday's are known to be the worst day but the second week in general should be easier on Cody. I have to think that having a week under his belt helps him understand what to expect also. I pray his week goes easier than last. I will write more this week. I'm not sure when but I will try to keep you posted.

Go Steelers!!!!!


elizabethnyc said...

Mickey, thanks for the update! So glad to hear Cody had a fun time yesterday with you and Diane - a nice break before beginning again tomorrow. Poker, huh? Card shark in addition to Monopoly Master? Way to go, Cody! :-)

I was in the city 2 weeks ago, and was surprised to see that carnival at the Wollman Rink - it's usually open for roller blading during the off-season.

Prayers continue that these treatments make a difference for Cody!

BIG MO said...

I'm sure he felt a lot better just being with both his mom & dad again.Sounds like you all had a very nice day together and that makes me so happy also.The phone rang a little bit ago & here it was JR & Vivian on her cell phone.She had him out side in the wheel chair since he was feeling
pretty good.Had I known ahead of time I could have been dressed to
go out, but I was getting ready to wash my hair.Told them I was going to be over at Health Center later.
I hope you two have a great time
together today no matter what you
end up doing.I'll be thinking of
you both all week and pray that
this 2nd week won't be so harsh
for our BIG GUY.LOVE you both much and will be checking often to see
how things are going.Wish I could
have sent him something more than a card for his big day but as soon as I saw that card it reminded me
of the pic of him in the Fireman's suit.Pray every treatment makes him so much better &with less pain.

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear about the good day for you three!! A great treat for all of you! I am convinced you and Diane are blessed with the innate ability to always make lemonade out of lemons!
I too hope this week is easier on Cody. He is amazing.
Prayers and positive thoughts continue for Cody! G2G

Gettin Older said...

Glad you had a good day. We will keep praying for y'all

Dottie O said...

Wow! He had his Mom and Dad, ice cream, horse carriage ride, carnival rides, a nice nap and found a new talent (poker) to develop.

Keeping you all in our prayers and sending whatever it takes to get through the second week of treatments before the 3 weeks at home.


Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that he had a good time in the park. I am really glad to know that Diane stayed around for it. I am sure it brightened her mood. Praying that this week will be a little bit less tough.

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!! Prayers of strength through his treatment!
God Bless

Anonymous said...

HI CODY!!! Its nurse Kelly..i miss you SOO much i can't even describe it. I am so proud of you, i hear you are doing really well with all your treatments!! Hi Mickey and Diane! I finally made it to Seattle and i started my new job, i do love it here, it is gorgeous! I am doing research here at Seattle Childrens Hospital and we are involved in a lot of interesting studies, i am involved in one regarding renal function post stem cell transplant, so it makes me think of you guys ALOT! I miss everyone at Gtown so much, especially you guys! I read your blog a lot more now Mickey since i dont get to see you guys at the hospital. Let me know if there is anything i can do. Enjoy this time off! my email is so keep in touch. Miss you all! Stay strong Cody! Kelly