Thursday, September 18, 2008

Yesterday was so much different....

Let me rewind to Tuesday afternoon. Cody's treatment went very well on Tuesday and he was his usual loving self. But then came the late afternoon.... When we got back to the room to get ready for dinner Cody wanted to log on one of his many new Webkinz. That is where it all went bad. He didn't do well on one of the Webkinz games and he turned into Jekyll and Hyde. From then on I was the worst dad ever. He basically through a fit from the time we went down to the dining hall till we were ready to go to bed. I attribute this to him coming down off the pain meds. It just takes the littlest thing to set him off. So needless to say I was glad to get him to bed.

Yesterday he did a 180. Through the treatment he didn't need any rescue meds. He got the basic pre-meds and that was it. At first I was worried because when they don't feel pain it is a sign that they are becoming immune (HAMA) to the 3f8. But after talking to the nurse she reminded me that his heart rate was still very high which is a good sign of pain. Also, when kids get 3f8 for 2 weeks as apposed to 1 they often do much better on the second week. Cody also had a wonderful young lady working with him. She is a dance therapist. Her job is to play, talk with a very calming voice, play meditation music and try to get the child to focus on something other than the pain. Well, she did a very good job. As I said, for the first time during these treatments he didn't need extra meds. The other great part of this is he was able to get back to his old self again much quicker. It was a good day..

This place is like family! I just want to give a well deserved kudos to the wonderful people at Ronald McDonald House. They do a great job making this hard time a little more bearable. This place gives us a chance to recharge after a hard day. It's also nice being around others who are going through the same thing we are. The other families here are very much like extended family. It gives us a chance to talk, laugh and cry together. Many of them are in the very same boat we are. They are very understanding when kids are have a bad day. They have all been there.

I hope some of you are thinking about what I wrote yesterday. I don't usually get much feedback when I make a post like that so I don't know.

Tomorrow is get away day. Hopefully things go well for Cody tomorrow and we are able to catch the train in the evening. If not we can leave on Saturday if need be. It will just be nice to let him get back home... I'll be praying for that....

Moon, thank you for the kind words. I means a great deal to me....

Bye for now..

9 comments:

Kentucky USATF said...

Maybe since Cody knows a little more about what to expect he's able to anticipate better what he needs to get through the treatment.

You get to home soon, for a few weeks. Justin and Daniela will be so glad to see him.

Safe travels,

Dottie

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that he is doing better. He just keeps fighting back. Way to go Cody! Prayers coming your way.

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

I know Cody is strong and most surely a fighter but how in the world after all he has been thru
does he keep going back for you?
He truely amazies me.The big reward
for all those kids is to be rid of
that terrible sickness.I'll be
waiting to hear you are both home.
Love you all so very much.
MOM

Monica Cassier said...

I wish I knew a big fish... I'm racking my brain...

Remember: Cody is a little boy. He'll have his good days and bad days, and the bad ones will be exacerbated by the struggle he now faces.

Peace, friend.
moon

Unknown said...

Mickey, I chair a fund raising walk and to raise $ last week I had a yard sale and poker tournament. We raised $1200 in one day. I am out of junk to sell, but if there are others that could donate junk the Meadowbrook Community is having a yard sale on Oct. 13th. I could set up a yard sale there to benefit BOP. Anyone reading this contact me at plang1@comcast.net if you have stuff to donate or if you want to help. Not a 'big fish' but a few hundred dollars.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!

I'm putting together a bake sale at the hospital I work at to benefit BOP, and if anyone is in the Northern Virginia area and would like to donate baked goods to sell, please email me at hmcoriemboh@yahoo.com. I don't have a date yet, as there is a lot of red tape to get through, but I will email the people interested when I get a date. Thanks!!

Corie

Unknown said...

Yikes - WRONG DATE FOR YARDSALE - the Meadowbrook Yard Sale is Oct. 4, like I said I have nothing left to sell but if anyone in the Northern Virginia area does I would be happy to sell and donate the proceeds to BOP.

Deck Ape said...

Trish and Corie, thank you guys very much... I would be more involved but I am spent right now.. Hey Trish we have a lot of junk. I have to see if Diane wants to part with it. Corie, I could possibly whip something up if you give me a date. As long as is doesn't conflict with work or NY.

Love you guys..

Anonymous said...

So great to see the video of the kids at the beach.. I have watched it several times. The sounds of the waves and kids are so soothing. I am glad that you are home. We think of you always...
Love the MC