Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Back to our reality...

The Super Bowl was just that, Super. We had a great time and it was one of, if not the best Super Bowl I have ever seen. The kids had a great time. Diane had purchased some of those little streamer poppers that pop when you pull the string. I had a hard time getting them to save some for the end of the game. It's a little hard for me to post the pictures because Cody is so yellow. I guess I will just pick a couple good ones and post them anyway. We will find out today if his liver is better or worse. I would be surprised if it were better. He is just looking more yellow. It's starting to bother me a little that people are staring at him when we are out in public. I just feel so bad for him.

I took Cody in for radiation setup yesterday. He will start today and it should last 9 or 10 days. He had to get marks all over his legs and one right in the center of his upper chest. They use these as markers for the radiation. We are still having problems getting Cyber Knife approved by the insurance company. I wonder if one of the insurance executives would go through this if it was their loved ones that was in need of this procedure. I bet not!

I have a government security audit at work this week. It is always a stressful time. I've been talking to many of my associates and have been asked about Cody and how he is doing. It is becoming hard to talk about it. I know that people mean well but I have a hard time keeping it together when I'm talking about Cody.

I will post when I get any new information. Thank you for the prayers, well wishes and congrats on the Steelers win. My family and I appreciate the love and support.

Update:
Diane just called me and said that the insurance company approved the Cyber Knife procedure. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. She had been making calls and rattling some cages and it seems to have paid off.

ReUpdate:
I misquoted Diane. She apparently told me that they had just resubmitted the Cyber Knife claim but the person with the insurance company who spoke to the doctor thought that there was a good chance it would be approved.
Also she just told me that all of his liver numbers are higher. They suspect is caused by the chemo. Cody will probably need platelets and red blood soon. We are back in the chemo groove...


Here are some of the Super Bowl pictures I promised.


Justin and Daniela enjoying the game.


Mommy and Cody..


My man..


Cousin Chris with Justin and Cody...


Cody loves Chris... Chris and Cody have always been close.


Buddies..


Pretty Boy...

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the cyber knife was approved for Cody's treatment.
As always, daily prayers said for the beautiful little boy.

Rob & Sherry said...

We're glad the insurance company finally got smart. It's unfortunate that you had to fight that battle at all. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. If there is anything we can do (or Pack 1355) we're there in a heartbeat.

Rob and Sherry

Unknown said...

GO Diane!!!! I'm from Baltimore so I just can't root for any team out of Pittsburgh but Tate had his eye on that score all game and was very worried about Cody's team in those last few minutes. He was glad they pulled it out.

elizabethnyc said...

Way to go, Diane!

Thanks for keeping us posted, Mickey, and know we're thinking and praying for you all!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Cody and everyone had a great time watching the Super Bowl...it was probably especially fun since the Steelers won! Thank goodness the insurance company wised up.
Continued Prayers!
God Bless,
Bruce

Anonymous said...

Small victories with the insurance co, great victories like the Steelers & still praying for a huge victory with Cody defeating the beast. Hang in there,keep the faith, there's still time left in the game.

Jim-Acca/Trane

TiredMamaRunning said...

While it's unbelievable that insurance companies force people to fight for approval for needed procedures, I am glad to hear that it was approved! Continued prayers for Cody today.

Anonymous said...

Good news on the CyberKnife! Our prayers are with Cody and your family. Stay strong and keep the faith.

MDCN

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that they finally approved the CyberKnife. I am with you, I just don't understand how they can put you through all of this. Hoping that things turn around soon for Cody. Prayers for you all.

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

That certainly made my day and
my name is not Clint Eastwood.LOL So sorry to hear about his skin color. Thank Diane for all of us and now I hope this will not be too late to do some good for our BIG GUY. Since they were to start radiation today,how will this change things? I'll be anxious to hear.LOVE as always.... MOM

Kentucky USATF said...

Good to read that they are reconsidering the Cyber Knife procedure. I hope the rest of the day goes well.

Hug to all of you!


Dottie

Anonymous said...

Diane is like the Bear Mama protecting the cub...DO NOT GET IN THE WAY!! Way to go Diane!!
If they have the ignorance to deny, be sure and post. There are enough of us in health care with lots of associates to bombard them with letters, emails and faxes. You are sooo right about the "squeeky wheel".
More prayers and positive thoughts continue. Think of all of you many times a day.g2g

Anonymous said...

The RE/MAX Allegiance family continues to pull for your family.

Kentucky USATF said...

Thanks for posting the pictures!


Dottie

Monica Cassier said...

I'll keep praying for your family and little cody, and that the cyber knife gets approved... You are so right: no insurance exec in the world would stand for this. Just keep being squeaky wheels! Loved the Super Bowl pix - I was cheering hard for the Steelers and told all my ambivalent friends that they should root for the Steelers because Cody would get such a kick out of it! AND THEY DID!
Hang in there, Deck. I know its hard to talk about Cody. People care about you and are naturally going to ask. Just do the best you can; they will certainly understand if you get emotional.

Hang in...
monica

Anonymous said...

Love the pics. They are great. Praying for approval and for his numbers to go down.

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

I'm happy it looks like the cyber knife procedure will be approved.
continued prayers coming your way for all around improvement.

DollarBill

Anonymous said...

Let's hope the next 10 days make a complete difference in Cody's health. The pictures are great - smiles captured of a very happy family that their team won!!!

Hugs to Cody, Pat (ACCA-NCC)