Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Started chemo today...

Well Cody's blood was ready so he got started with chemo. We took Justin in with us and they both did remarkably well for such a long day. We left the house at 8:15. We got there before 10 and they took his blood. We found out that they were going to start today so I took them to Taco Bell across the street for lunch while we waited for his chemo to be mixed up. He didn't get hooked up until 2pm. We finally got out of there around 4. What a long day. The chemo is given in two parts. The first is in IV form and then he must take an oral chemo which is about 2 tsps. I had to make a deal with Cody to take his oral meds. The deal was a round of putt putt golf. Hey, whatever it takes.. I will stoop to blackmail.. :D He did very well this time. The last time he got very ill on the first day. Let's pray he continues this way.

After some convincing Dr. Abu-Gosh said Cody may still get his port in two weeks or so. She would like to do it when his blood starts the upswing in recovering. This would give him the summer he so badly deserves. He has earned the greatest summer anyone could have. I firmly believe that he couldn't have it with the tubes sticking out of his chest...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not make any comments for a
couple days because I just did not know what to say. I did keep reading all the comments your friends were sending in and could
tell more about what was happening
and could help you & Diane, where I
was just dumb founded and angry. Just remember,I'm keeping up with
your BLOG all the time and keep praying for all of you. I am very
glad the kids enjoyed camp. Will
that be happening again while they
are out of school for the summer?
Who has those camps for the kids?
I keep wondering what is happening.
I'm off to bed and I'll check in
again tomorrow.LOVE YOU ALL.
MOM
in

Kentucky USATF said...

Bribery is good incentive if it works.

:)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the first day went well. Praying that the rest of the time goes as well.

Susan and Jonathan

Monica Cassier said...

You're so right, Cody does deserve the best summer ever. I think next year will be the best ever... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mickey-need your and all readers support. Please call, write to your senators & tell them to support the "Caroline Pryce Walker Conquer Childhood Cancer Act of 2008" which already passed the House. Senate is expected to vote on this bill shortly. Sorry I don't have the bill number. It would authorize $30 million a year over 5 years providing funding for pediatric cancer clinical trials, create a national childhood cancer database , and improve public awareness and communication regarding available treatments & research for children with cancer. This would be a big help & is specific to children. Please support this legislation. Another good organization in the fight is CureSearch.org whose mission is to cure childhood cancer.

Will continue to pray for Cody's recovery and forever remission. You all hang in there. I can only imagine how stressful this is for the whole family. You all are so strong and are an inspiration to all of us. God Bless... Jim- ACCA

Kentucky USATF said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You all continue to amaze me with your strength individually and as a family. I'm sure it meant a lot to Cody to have Justin accompany him for the chemo.
Think you all every day with my bracelet as a familiar reminder.
Positive thoughts and prayers continue==and now an email to Congress !! G2G

elizabethnyc said...

So who won the game of putt-putt golf? :-)

Glad the first day of this round went well. I bet Cody was happy to have his big brother Justin along for the day. Hope things continue smoothly on this round of treatments, and that the port can happen soon.

Prayers continue...
ElizabethNYC