Friday, December 14, 2007

"A gift for Santa too..."


"A gift for Santa too..."
This moment brought tears to my eyes. Cody had been in a foul mood earlier in the morning. We had just been discharged from the hospital and were going down to the party. He was in no mood to see Santa or anyone else. So I suggested that we take our belongings out to the truck and then return. By the time we returned the wagon upstairs and headed back to the party he was in a better mood. It is very hard to tell with him which Cody you are going to get. We waited inline for a few minutes and then it was his turn. I was a little wary of how he would react to Santa, but with that Cody charm he gave Santa a long hard hug for at least 20 seconds. Santa was pleasantly surprised also. This embrace reminded me of when we went to Disney World for his make a wish. He did the same to one of the characters there. Diane and I both wept at that moment. We just get flooded with emotions when we see him interact with people like this. He is such a loving boy but in many ways the things he has gone through have made him tough. He associates people being very nice to him with doctors wanting to touch or examine him.
This great photo was taken by the Washington Post. I would like to thank them for letting me use this photo. It was taken at the Georgetown Lombardi Cancer Center. The Virginia local and state police put on a toy drive and they deliver the toys to kids at many of the area hospitals.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo, Mickey, and it brings tears to my eyes as well. What a great moment to have captured. Here's hoping Santa brings Cody a happy healthy 2008 and beyond!

Hugs to all of you,
Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Looked at the pic, got up, walked around, cleared my eyes, and thanked God.

Thank you Mickey,

Kirk

pwoodyj said...

Wow! What a GREAT Picture! I would have been balling like a baby if I were there! Love YA. Shawn

Anonymous said...

Like everyone else, the picture brings tears-of joy, hope and mostly love. Thanks for sharing. Your daily news is a gift each day. Thank you Mickey and Cody. Santa will hear lots of the same wish this year from many of us.
Prayers and positive thoughts continue. G2G

Monica Cassier said...

Oh Mickey... I can hardly speak after seeing this picture... it is so wonderful... Just like Kirk said...
I know you kind of worry about Cody having that "toughness" but that scrappiness is his survival instincts, his fighter, his 'little ape'. I'm sure once he is better, he will mellow with age and maturity.
You're doing the right thing by him, letting him 'be Cody'.
Love and prayers your way to you and your entire family. Thank you for sharing this...
Moon.

GB said...

Okay, I'm crying!
That is a very special picture.

Hi Cody darlin'! Merry Christmas!!! Glad you're home.

Anonymous said...

KIrk did say it nicely....the pix was wonderful. Your words made it hit home. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

karen

Anonymous said...

Cody is so incredibly wonderful. This really touched us seeing him with so much caring and love. Thanks for sharing. You're all in our prayers everyday. We love you all.

Lydia, Bob, Sarah & Noah Barrett-Geib

Anonymous said...

What a great picture. It brings tears to my eyes as well. I know how much it means to you. Maybe he was looking into Santa's pockets while he had the chance. Give Cody a hug for me. Oh yah Mickey remember back to when Cody was born, who could not remember how to spell his name? Is always you are in my prayers. I am also just a phone call away.

Unknown said...

Hey Deck,

What a pic! Tears welling up as I type this! Thanks for sharing and good to hear Cody is home! Prayers are a continuing...

Gregory (Pudov)