Thursday, January 24, 2008

No news is good news...

We had a pretty quiet evening last night. Daniela went ice skating with her friend. The rest of us watched TV, put together puzzles and play with our Webkinz. Cody's diarrhea is still hanging on but no blood, "knock on wood." He's not eating much at all so they will be starting IV feeding tomorrow evening. The doctor really wants to do that as little as possible because it's really hard on the liver. With everything his liver is going through right now, it doesn't need anymore stress. But, Cody can't afford to lose anymore weight either. It's a very fine line we are walking. Diane has to take him in tomorrow and it will probabley be a very long day. He will need platelets for sure, maybe even red blood. I wish I could just hook right up to him. I'm giving blood at work tomorrow and I'm O+. Giving blood down there doesn't ensure it goes to Cody anyway. I have given to Red Cross for many years now. It's something that my mother has instilled in me. Besides an organ, giving blood is one of the most selfless things you can do.

Thanks for checking in...

11 comments:

Monica Cassier said...

Hang in there. Is there something to eat that Cody particularly likes? Or has his appetite just kinda disappeared?

Hang in there Mick...
monica

Deck Ape said...

Moon,
this is just part of the process. It may take days or weeks for it to come back. Thanks for the advice...

Unknown said...

Hi Deck,
You don't know me, but I joined the RW master's forum recently. My mom finished radiation therapy to the abdomen about a month ago. When I couldn't get her to eat anything else, I had the best luck with overripe frozen bananas, pureed in a blender (sometimes with a spoonful or two of peanut butter to up the calories). I guess the coldness and lack of odor makes them easier on a distressed system? They might help with the diarrhea too. Cody is really hanging in there - he looks good in his pictures.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear no blood. I hope Abby had a good time last night, it was a good night for ice skating. Hey, how did Justin's pinewood derby go? Prayers for health, appetite and strength for all!

Susan and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for Cody. Had him added to our prayer list at church, Mick! God bless and sending good thoughts your way!!!

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers for Deck and his

elizabethnyc said...

Mickey,
I wonder if Georgetown allows blood donors to direct blood to a specific patient? MSKCC allows that (assuming the blood type is appropriate). Just a thought...

Prayers for all of you as always,
ElizabethNYC

Anonymous said...

hi guys,

John is away and all the techincal stuff in the house has gone to hell. I am going into webkinz withdrawl. I love the new monkey. Hang in there and let us know if we can do anything, I am o+ as well. I would gladly hook up an arm or two!!!

Love Ya
MC

Anonymous said...

Hope Cody found something he liked to eat tonight. It's tough when food just doesn't taste right and chemo does that. Glad he's been home though. Sending extra energy to you and Diane. You both are amazing.
Prayers and postive thoughts continue. G2G

Anonymous said...

my son brandon gave blood today at after class . tpye o brandon wants to give once a month. thats my boy. always a big heart.

Anonymous said...

Continually sending good vibes from very cold Ohio. If I can run tomorrow, I will dedicate my miles to Cody. :)